Mental Health and Well Being
Without good mental health, our ability to learn and take in new information can be significantly affected. Everyone has ‘mental health’ and this can be thought of in terms of:
- How we feel about ourselves and the people around us &our ability to make and keep friends and relationships
- Our ability to learn from others and to develop psychologically and emotionally.
Being mentally healthy is also about having the strength to overcome the difficulties and challenges we can all face at times in our lives, to have confidence and self-esteem, and to be able to take decisions and believe in ourselves.
It is quite normal to sometimes feel worried, anxious or upset when things don’t go as you hope – everyone faces pressure in their lives at certain times and these can include;
- Work and getting a job
- Growing up and becoming more independent from your family
- Making up (and breaking up) with friends
- Grief - dealing with the death of someone you know
There is plenty of help and support to guide you if you need help with your emotional wellbeing.
- Rethink offer advice and support on mental health for young people
- Young Minds The voice for young peoples health and wellbeing
- Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) Northamptonshire provide mental health support for children and young people in Northamptonshire
- Time to change A programme to challenge mental health stigma and discrimination
- The Lowdown offer free counselling and support to young people in Northamptonshire suffering with stress or anxiety
- MIND Northampton can help with choices about stress treatment and reach out to sources of support.
- Talk Out Loud is a website set up by young people that provides mental health support.
- Time 2 talk offers free counselling services for young people aged 13-25 in Daventry and Towcester
- Young Minds is a charity committed to improving the emotional wellbeing and mental health of young people
- Youth Works in Kettering and Corby offer one to one counselling, drop in support sessions and access to information, empowering young people to make informed decisions about their lives and emotional wellbeing
- Ask Normen offer advice, support and treatments for managing stress and your emotional wellbeing
- Text your school nurse - for friendly, helpful and confidential advice, text your school nurse on 07507 329 600
- Papyrus provide confidential help and advice to young people to prevent suicide
- CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health) - www.nhft.nhs.uk/camhslive